The search was on for the right person. I asked for a recommendation from Theresa at Brittany's Mountain Retreat. She gave me the name of a woman who does great work, at least judging from the pictures on her website. When I got the quote from her, I knew it was out of my price range. I thought, "Surely, there are cheaper photographers than this." And surely, I was mistaken. In fact, Theresa's recommendation was the cheapest professional photographer I have found.
I started to get a little disheartened. I don't mind admitting that I'm cheap, but this was more a matter of saving some money for other things. I wanted pictures, but I wasn't willing to pay more for the pictures than for, let's say, a honeymoon or other fun event. What could I possibly do to save some money?
Then it hit me. Asheville has a university; perhaps they have a photography department. And lo and behold, they do have a photography department as part of their art program. I wasn't sure if I would get an answer, but I wrote to an email address I found on the UNCA website under the photography page. I expressed my interest in not only saving money but also contributing to the portfolio of an aspiring young photographer. I expected that my email would disappear into a dark void, and I would end up coughing up a bunch of money for a photographer.
Turns out, the email didn't go into a dark void. I heard back from one of the staff members saying that my email was being forwarded to the photography students. I was back to expecting the dark void, but I have since gotten two different requests from a couple of students.
I believe I have found the right one for our wedding. Her name is Amy Schnell, and she has some lovely photos on her Flickr account. It looks like she's experienced in both black & white and color photography. Here are some of my favorites from her page:
I love the color here.
The perspective here is great (as well as the black & white contrast).
This is so lovely to me.
More black & white awesomeness.
I always like pictures that don't seem extremely posed.
Gorgeous.






No comments:
Post a Comment