Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Oathing Stone

I know I've mentioned several times that our wedding has a "rock" theme. And by rock I mean stone, not the type of music (although, with our tastes, that would work too). In keeping with the "rock" theme, we are having an oathing stone ceremony. Cliff researched online and found out about this neat little ceremony.

Basically, the bride and groom chooses a stone and while saying the vows, they place their hands on the stone. The symbolism is that the bride and groom are cementing their vows in stone. It's an old Scottish tradition. Last week, the stone we will be using in the ceremony arrived.



Isn't it pretty? We ordered the stone from a website called Rock-It Creations, and it turned out even better than I had hoped. The only downside is that the rock is a wee bit heavy, but we will figure out the logistics for incorporating it into the ceremony. By the way, Rock-It Creations not only did a fabulous job, but they turned it around in only a couple of days. The day after I ordered, I got the proof, and then I think it was only a day or two later, I got the shipping notification. You can't beat service like that.

The oathing stone ceremony also has another optional part where the guests can participate. Essentially, all the guests are given a small stone when they arrive. Using a metallic pen, they can write one word on one side of the stone and their name on the other side of the stone. The word normally acts as their "well-wish" for the couple (i.e., love, happiness, joy, etc.). During the ceremony, the guests hold their rocks, again cementing their well-wishes for the couple into the rock. So, we ordered some nice river rocks from Amazon for this purpose. I like this idea because instead of having a guest book, we just have everyone sign their names to the rock.



I like having the mixture of white river rocks and black river rocks. It will make for an interesting display. And speaking of display, that's the next step. After the ceremony, all the guests will place their rocks into a container, and then we'll have our little keepsake after the wedding. We chose this container from a website called SaveOnCrafts.



And another thing on my list gets checked off. Only two weeks to go! I'm excited and nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment