Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Fickle Bride

I hate my wedding dress. There, I said it. I was really excited about my dress when I purchased it back in November, but now that the big day is here, I realize that I hate my first choice. I got the dress from Target, and I've always been a fan of the maxi style. I think I always thought it was a style that flattered me. So, when I got the dress, I tried it on. At the time, I thought I liked it. Now that I look back at the pictures I took back in November, I realize that I really don't like it. Here are the pics. And since I'm not wearing this for my wedding, it's ok that Cliff sees this.



It just hangs on me. I've lost a lot of weight, and I don't have to hide under clothing anymore. I wanted something that would look good on me and make me feel pretty. I don't have to have a Cinderella dress. My style is very simple, and our wedding ceremony is going to be simple. But I still wanted a dress that would look good and help me feel special for my special day. So, this morning I decided that I was going to go to the mall at lunch to find my dress.

Last night, I did a quick search on the Belk website to see what kind of white dresses they offered. They had several I thought might work, and I was looking forward to trying them on. So, when I got to work this morning, I sent out a Mayday to a couple of my co-workers. I really needed help getting the dresses zipped, and luckily, one of my co-workers said she was available during lunch. The office manage (aka, my boss) also came along to help. The moment we got to Belk, we made a beeline to the dress section and just started grabbing anything white, cream, beige and even natural/brown. I had about 10 dresses by the time I was ready to start trying things on.

Don't you just hate how sizes can vary so much from one dress to the next? I've lost weight, and vanity wants me to wear the lowest size I possibly can. Well, I was able to fit into what I'm calling my current size for some of the dresses, but some just wouldn't zip. There was one dress I liked that I actually got a size bigger to see how it looked. After I had tried all the dresses, I had narrowed the selection down to five.



The one on the far left was just a bit too brown. It was also a little shorter than I like when I tried it on. The cream-colored one was very formal. It was from the prom section. It looked pretty good on me, but I thought it was a bit overkill for my wedding. The brown one in the middle again was too brown, although it also looked good. The one on the far right just didn't look right in the front for some reason. Plus, it had these weird little pockets I didn't like. Which left the one second from the right. This is it. This is my wedding dress. It also happens to be the dress I had to get a size bigger, but I'm ok with that. It looks good, and I think I'll be comfortable taking my vows in it.



The only drawback to this dress is that it is quite see-through. I'll definitely have to make sure I have my slip handy when I wear this. But now that I have my dress, I'm starting to get really excited. And the good news is that if I change my mind again, at least I have the option to return this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment