Sunday, April 14, 2013

Return to Reality

Friday, April 12 was our last day in Asheville. After that, it was a slow return to reality. We started our last day by having breakfast at a local diner called JK's Kitchen. It was pretty good. I really liked the pictures they placed at the backs of their menus. They had excerpts from coloring book pages that had been colored by children (I assume). I didn't get the opportunity to get a picture, but it was a really cute way to use the blank space on their menus.

After we returned from breakfast, we wanted to let the dogs have one last long run around the pond. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but there are chickens and goats on the property, and we got a few pictures of them. And the chickens' eggs were delicious.

The normal chicken

The Phyllis Diller of chicks

One of the cute goats

The dogs really loved barking at those chickens. Thank goodness there was a fence to keep them at bay.

So, after we finally got the dogs' attention off the chickens, they enjoyed a nice, long play by the pond. Cliff and I decided to take out the pedal boat that was available by the sandy shore at one end of the pond. We coaxed Tokie into the boat with us, and off we pedaled, keeping our eye on Piper as we drifted. Piper was none too thrilled with us leaving him on the shore. He didn't really want to come out in the boat, but he didn't want to get left behind either. So, he kept running along the shore. At one point, with his ball in his mouth, he ran up on the dock that stretched over the water. He let go of his ball, and it went sailing into the water. We encouraged him to come down the dock steps and get in the boat. Then, once he got in, we pedaled toward his ball. He couldn't stand it. He jumped into the water, struggling when he realized he couldn't touch the bottom. I helped his soaked furry butt back into the boat, and we continued trying to pedal towards his ball. His impatience got the better of him. He finally jumped into the water and swam to his ball. He picked it up and headed to the shore, snorting around his ball the entire way. I hope I never forget that moment. I wish I had pictures of it, but since we were in the boat on the water, neither of us had a camera to capture that moment.

After doggy playtime, we went inside to relax and plan our evening. Our last day...what should we do? Before our trip, Cliff had looked up several haunted tour options. So, we decided we would take advantage of a spooky bus ride through downtown Asheville. We actually opted to do the Haunted Comedy tour...laughter and ghouls go perfectly together, right? So, I booked two tickets on the LaZoom Haunted Comedy Tour.



After an afternoon of relaxation and pizza, we were ready to drive to the Thirsty Monk in Asheville to board our bus tour (with some beer to keep us company). The tour was really funny with a comedian who reminded us of a Shrute. Here are some pictures of the highlights of the tour.

Our tour guide, Thomas Wolfman
A spooky (drunk) ghost we saw on the tour








This gimp kept making an appearance on our bus

Thomas Wolfman sure knew how to bust a move.

The tour had interesting music, dancing ghosts (and tour guides) and prompting for all the passengers to howl at innocent bystanders on the street. Although the evening was a little sad for me (I wasn't ready to leave), it was still really fun.



After the tour, Cliff and I went on the hunt for a late night dinner. We ended up back at The Bier Garden because they were open. We got a couple of beers, a hummus sampler plate and for entrees, Cliff opted for the Cuban while I got veggie sliders. The sliders were not so good, but Cliff shared his Cuban, which was delicious. Then it was time to head back to the cabin. On the way to the car, I saw this awesome sculpture with which I just had to get a picture. I guess this is to be my wifely duty, so I thought it was appropriate.

Must be meant for a giant's shirt

So, with the last day finished, I'm sad to leave Asheville and very happy to embark on my new journey with my loving husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment