Thursday, April 4, 2013

Surprise Shower

I love my family. My mom and sisters are such wonderful people. I went to visit them this past weekend. My little sister and I ran a 5K color run in Greensboro on Saturday, and about a week ago, Jade mentioned that we should just go home to see Mom after the run since we would already be halfway there. Part of me wanted to wait until the wedding because I wanted Mom to be surprised at how much weight I've lost since I last saw her. But the bigger part of me wanted to go see her, so I agreed.

We got home on Saturday around 1 p.m. I ended up snoozing on the couch for a little while, no doubt a mixture of energy expended on the run as well as being tired from the drive. I was in and out of consciousness, and at one point, I heard my older sister. She had come over after work, and when I finally dragged my lazy bum off the couch, I realized that she had brought food. She was setting out ham rolls, a veggie tray and grapes. She was also in the middle of making her normal party punch that consisted of lime Kool-Aid, pineapple juice and ginger ale. And my mom had made a batch of her pickle sandwiches, another party favorite.

Some of the spread with Mom's pickle sandwiches front and center

At this point, I just figured we were having a little family time. It didn't really seem like a meal since there was just a bunch of finger food, but they kept talking about my nieces and nephew coming over around 6 p.m. I think my mom made a comment about the shower, and I was thinking, "What is she talking about?" Then it dawned on me. My mom was throwing me a shower! I couldn't believe it. I hadn't thought I would get one from my family. I had thought that my coworkers gave me my one and only shower. And here is my wonderful mom pulling something together for me.

It was at that moment that I noticed my sister had also brought in a cake which was setting on the far counter. I took at a look at it and was touched that she included elements of my theme in the cake. She is awesome at making cakes, and before I got all flustered with the whole cake-deciding nonsense, I was going to have her make our wedding cake. But since I could never make up my mind, I let her off the hook. The cake she made for my shower was one of my early concepts, so I'm glad she remembered when she made it. I love the "dirt" cookies and the addition of the two rocks. All in my theme.



After the kids got there and we ate food, it was time to retire to the front room, where I assumed were some presents. So, we went in the front room, and everyone just sat around watching me open a few gifts.

Ready to begin ripping the paper
I must have been really excited about these new sheets. These will go great with my pillowcases I got at my work shower.
What's in here?
Yea! It's silverware to match the set I got from one of my co-workers.
The bounty included an Amazon card from my sister. Woo hoo! More shopping!

After the gift opening, I wanted to get a family photo of all the wonderful people who came (and a special dog). We had to take multiple shots to get a good one, but I think this is the best.

Top Row L-R: Jennifer (sister), Mom, Jade (sister) | Bottom Row L-R: Austin (nephew), Randall (dog), Winnie (niece), Cassie (niece) | and of course, there I am front and center

Mom was apologetic that more of my family didn't show. It sounds like this might have been a little too last minute for some of my kinfolk. But that's ok. I had some of the best people in my life attend, and that's all I could ask for.

Thanks, Mom! You're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment